GlimmerSite offers an online gathering place for people interested in the topic of transformational design. If you're not sure what that is, click around—you'll find lots of provocative, inspiring ideas here that should interest anyone who cares about creativity, problem-solving, and re-invention. The central idea here is that design is applicable to just about any challenge—and its principles are accessible to anyone.
Glimmer, the book which inspired this site, takes you through 10 key design principles and shows how they are being applied to business, social issues, and personal lives. On GlimmerSite we go far beyond the book—offering links to fresh content such as essays, interviews, columns, videos, and reviews.
Who makes up this community? People like you—who have an interest (though not necessarily expertise) in design, know that change is necessary, and are looking for the creative tools and inspiration to start making this change. The idea is to learn from the world's top design thinkers featured in Glimmer the book and here on GlimmerSite. (For more about who these people are, check out the Glimmerati pages.)
Some of the features of the site include:
- Glimmer Stories, real-life tales of changing the world by design
- DesigNation, where we reveal that, today, everybody's a designer
- DesignSell, which looks at how business can use design to tranform itself
- The GlimmerGlossary, which explains intriguing design terms in everyday language
We're looking for your ideas and contributions in our "Dialogue" section, which features:
- Reboot: An open call for ideas on how to reinvent everything from baby bottles to hospital rooms
- Remix: Where we invite you to connect existing ideas to form new ones
- DesignFail: Showing what happens when design doesn't quite work (send us your examples)
- Design is…: You're invited to share your definitions of this elusive word
- And, leave blog comments or go to Contribute or Contact to reach us directly
Don't keep GlimmerSite a secret. Subscribe to its feed and its newsletter. Look for our collected tweets at #Glimmer. Share it with your friends via email and Facebook. Link to it on your blog. The world benefits from this kind of proactive, optimistic conversation, and now we have a place to hold it.
Looking forward to hanging out with you,
Warren Berger (aka GlimmerGuy)